This week is National Nurses Week, and we are so thrilled to have the opportunity to celebrate our nurses. We talked to Tracy Wu, head nurse of adult medicine, and Vanessa Huang, assistant head nurse of adult medicine, as well as numerous more nurses at our Health Center, asking one question: Why are nurses so important? Here are the top 10 reasons we think nurses play an essential role in the health and wellness of our patients.
1. As part of the Medical Home, our nurses care about both the patient’s physical health and emotional health. We treat the person, not just the disease.
2. Our nurses meet the unique needs of each patient, whether that is short term care for when they are sick, and long term support for chronic conditions.
3. Nurses are the ones who spend the most time with patients during their medical visits. They take the time to make sure patients understand their health.
4. Our nurses promote preventive health, both in our health center and in the community. As part of a community health center, nurses play a vital role in community outreach.
5. Nurses explain various procedures or medications to patients so that they can make their own informed decisions regarding health issues and to better self-manage their health.
6. Nurses are a part of each patient’s healthcare team. Nurses help facilitate communication between doctors and patients so they receive the best care.
7. Nurses help ensure continuity of care for patients by following up with patients after their visit.
8. Our nurses consider all factors that may affect one’s health, like socioeconomic or psychological factors. From there, they can refer patients to appropriate services that they need.
9. Nurses serve as team leaders to ensure a good work and patient flow.
10. Our nurses provide advice and emotional support to not just the patients, but also their families and caretakers.
Happy National Nurses Week! A big thank you to our dedicated nurses, who are a source of care and compassion to our patients and community.