Senator Daniel Squadron is sending the following message to community members in regards to recent changes in rent laws:
[Laws that create rent regulations have recently expired.] But your protections as a rent regulated tenant do NOT expire. Below is a helpful list from the Alliance for Tenant Power on some of your guaranteed protections:
- DO NOT MOVE OUT. You are still a tenant of your apartment. The landlord cannot put you out of your apartment without going to court. If the landlord tries to do so, call the police. This is illegal.
- If you have a lease, you are protected at least as long as the lease term.
- If you have a renewal lease, sign it and send it back immediately.
- If your lease expires on or before September 13, 2015, you are entitled to a renewal lease and you should be protected.
- If you are rent-controlled (not rent stabilized, you’ve been in your apartment since 1971), you will be protected by the New York City laws which will not expire until 2018.
If the laws lapse and you have concerns about your personal housing situation, please contact my office at 212-298-5565, 718-875-1517 or email@example.com with any questions on your rights as a tenant. You can also call:
- NYS Division of Housing and Community Renewal emergency hotline: 844-736-8435
New York State Senator