What better way to beat the heat than a tall, cold summer drink? We should drink about 8-9 cups of fluids every day to stay healthy—especially in the summer. Many bottled and store-bought drinks are packed with lots of sugar. It is hard to cut out sweet drinks completely, and you don’t always have to. Here are some ways to cut down on your sugar intake while still staying hydrated in the heat.
- When ordering drinks, ask for less or no sugar in your order.
- Limit the number of sweet drinks you buy each week.
- Infuse water with fresh fruit or mint.
- Make your own drinks. You can control how much sugar to put in—the less, the better.
- Use water or seltzer water to dilute sugary drinks.
- Learn to read food labels so you can control the amount of sugar in your diet.
- Remember that water is the best option: it has 0 calories and 0 sugar!
Remember to drink liquids all the time, not just when you feel thirsty! Choosing unsweetened or low sugar drinks will keep you cool and healthy during the summer.